This year I moved up to high school and wanted to push the boundaries a little bit with the So You Think You Can Dance Challenge. I remember thinking about this unit over the summer and then I watched a couple of SYTYCD episodes to get some inspiration. The result was this assignment with the following instructions, a Google Doc of FAQ and three class periods (80 minutes each) for students produced their videos.
Basic Task Breakdown
- Get a Group - You and your partner are going to be responsible for creating a 60-90 second choreographed dance.
- Find a Song and/or Dance - You’ll only be given 2 class periods to PLAN, PRACTICE and FILM your routine. The Song/Dance is all up to you!
- Choreograph the Dance - You are meant to REMIX the video, not copy the exact same moves, but make it your own! Your OWN dance moves, your OWN dress and your OWN style!
- Practice - This assignment will be graded under MOVEMENT as well as the collaboration ESLR. If you are working with a larger group to many voices can be counter productive. Stay on track, appoint someone to be the facilitator so that there are not too many people talking but ideas are still getting shared.
- Perform AND Record - No matter where you are going to be shooting please respect the environment and take notice of others so that you are not a disturbance.
- Reflection - ALL students need to “TURN IN” an individual reflection on Edmodo. The reflection piece is described below.